The signature event of Undergraduate Research Week, the Undergraduate Research Symposium (URS) has been held on the University of Illinois (U of I) campus since 2008. The number of undergraduate students participating has grown from a few hundred in its inaugural year to well over 800 students (as of Spring 2019). Over the course of the day, students present their work in concurrent oral and poster presentations (including creative performances), the breadth and scope of which reflect not only the wide range of academic disciplines at the University of Illinois, but also speak to the caliber of our undergraduates. Our students are innovative and engaged, eager to learn from their advisors and mentors. Their projects also demonstrate the ongoing institutional commitment to supporting and expanding research opportunities at the U of I and beyond.
2020 Undergraduate Research Symposium
Date: Thursday, April 30, 2020 (9am - 5pm)
Poster Presentations: Illini Union Rooms A, C, South Lounge.
Oral and Performance Presentations: Illini Union 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floor.
Lunchtime Presentations: Illini Union Room B.
- Gain valuable presentation experience.
- Receive feedback that could further your research.
- Contribute to and learn about recent advancements in your field.
- Bolster your résumé or curriculum vitae.
- Presenting at the URS satisfies one of the requirements for the Undergraduate Research Certificate!
Poster sessions last 1 hour and 15 minutes. Oral panel sessions last for an hour, with individual presentations of 15 minutes, and usually consist of up to 3 presentations. Students are expected to be present for the duration of their poster or oral presentation sessions. The Symposium is an all day event. In the application, presenters will indicate their availability for four time periods over the course of the Symposium. They will then be assigned to a poster or oral panel session based upon availability and presentation category (see Application Requirements below).
- The name(s), NetID, email, UIN, gender, race/ethnicity, college, major, year in school for each presenter.*Please note, graduate students, faculty, and staff should NOT be included as presenters in the application. We only allow undergraduate students to be presenters at the URS.
- The name and contact information for the presenter's research mentor.
- Title of the oral presentation, poster, or performance. This title can be revised after the application has been submitted.
- Presentation abstract (not to exceed 250 words). Abstract will be for internal office use only and will not be accessible to the public.
- Presentation category that best applies to your research topic (e.g. Artistic Expressions and Human Inquiry, Food Plants and Animals, Science and Mathematics, Health and Wellness).
The deadline to submit an application to present at the 2020 Undergraduate Research Symposium is March 1, 2020 at 11:59pm.
NO LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED!
Eligibility and Application:
All current undergraduate students are eligible to present at the URS. To submit an application, use the "Present at the Symposium" link at the left.